Veteran Services in Provo
At Nelson Family Mortuary, we consider it an honor to assist families with veteran burial services. Veterans make many sacrifices for the rest of us to enjoy the freedoms we do. The heroism and bravery they demonstrate day in and day out is something we feel should be honored at their funeral service. Our extensive experience in serving veterans has made us familiar with the military traditions and regulations that make a veteran’s funeral unique.
Each family is unique and thus the way that we honor may differ from one family to the next. Whether you would like full military service or an intimate family gathering, we would be honored to help you say goodbye. You can rely on us to make sure all of the necessary paperwork is completed so you are able to obtain the military death benefits that are available.
Veterans Burial Services
When a family loses a loved one, we are here to help them through the grieving process. We are able to assist you with all of the details of planning a veteran’s funeral services. You can rely on us to make sure all of the necessary paperwork is completed so you are able to obtain the military death benefits that are available.
Planning A Military Funeral
In order to plan a military funeral, you must first prove the deceased’s eligibility by presenting a DD Form 214 to the funeral director. This is the form that is given to a military member upon their retirement, separation, or discharge from active duty in one of the various branches of the United States Armed Forces.
After this form is presented to the funeral director, they will verify its authenticity and begin the arrangement process. The funeral director will then contact the appropriate Military Service to request funeral honors and begin the arrangement process.
To request a copy of the DD Form 214, please visit here for more information.
The following outlines the various requirements to be eligible for military funeral honors:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve.
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable.
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
Military Death Benefits
Military death benefits are available for many United States veterans. As an experienced veteran funeral service provider, we are happy to assist you with the funeral planning and required paperwork to secure military death benefits.
Benefits provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs can include:
- A burial flag is provided at no cost to have draped over the casket.
- Headstone markers or medallions are provided by the Department of Veteran Affairs at no cost.
- Burial in a National or State Veterans Administration Cemetery
- Families may apply to receive a Presidential Memorial Certificate signed by the President.
Choosing to serve in our military is one of the noblest things a person can do for their community. Your family can trust that ours will be there to deliver the funeral service a veteran deserves for the bravery and sacrifices they have made. A veteran’s duty is to serve and protect our nation and our people. We believe that it is our duty to see that their funeral service reflects that and honors their legacy.
To learn more about veteran services in Provo please call us at 801-405-7444 to learn how we can work together to pay tribute to your veteran.